Award badges automatically to students in Canvas who meet the module completion requirements.
Badgr in Canvas can be configured to award badges for module completion only. But module completion can be set based on a rich combination of assignment grades, submission, content viewed, and other module prerequisites. Badges are linked to Canvas modules (and awarded based on any "rubric" criteria the module has configured).
- Please refer to Canvas documentation to learn more about Module Completion Requirements
- Module completion requirements must be added to each module with which you've associated a badge.
- If a badge is not being awarded as expected, module completion requirements should be reexamined.
- Modules and courses need to be published in order for badges to be automatically awarded.
Setting Module Completion Requirements
- Log into your Canvas course and click the "Modules" menu.
- Click the gear icon that is adjacent to the module title.
- Choose edit from the gear menu dropdown.
A dialog box will open that gives you several options for adding prerequisites and requirements.
Prerequisites are optional, requirements are compulsary.
Prerequisites cannot be added to the first module in a course. Prerequisites can be used in conjunction with requirements. Prerequisites will not trigger badge awards, only requirements.
- Choose the requirement(s) and/or prerequisites that match the goals of your course and badging program. You can get very creative with combinations of requirements.
e.g. self-paced courses may opt to use "view the item" or "mark as done" whereas courses with rigor may opt to use "submit the assignment" or "score at least".
- Click the "Update Module" button to finish, then observe your completion rules displayed within the module.
In the example below, the student only has to complete one of the requirements (quiz or lesson plan).